Art in Other Places profiles 29 institutional and community arts programs across the United States that have pioneered the field of arts-based community building. It describes how creative processes have been used to address some of society's most pressing issues—how writers, performers, media and visual artists help develop healthy communities. These histories show the positive effects the arts bring to the elderly, prisoners, people with disabilities, hospital patients, and others.
Foreword by Page Smith
Foreword to the New Edition
PART I: THE ELDERLY
1. Inside Other Places: The Nursing Home Setting
2. Madeline Rugh: Conversations With the Elders
3. Liz Lerman: Dancers of the Third Age
4. Susan Perlstein: Elders Share the Arts
PART II: PRISONS
5. Inside Other Places: "Inside"
6. Geese Theater: America's National Prison Theater Company
7. Grady Hillman: Jailin' and Writin' in Texas
8. Arts-In-Corrections: Art From California Prisons
PART III: PEOPLE WITH DISABILITIES
9. Inside Other Places: Programs for the Developmentally Disabled
10. Victoria Ann-Lewis: Other Voices, Other Solutions
11. CLIMB Theater Company: Theater-In-Reverse
12. The Short Centers: "My Name is Pat and I'm An Artist"
PART IV: PEOPLE WITH MENTAL ILLNESS
13. Inside Other Places: Mental Health Facilities
14. Imagination Workshop: Disciplining the Imagination
15. Edith Kelman: Strange Apples
16. Art Programming in the California Department of Mental Health: The Adventures of a Do-Gooder at DMH
PART V: HOSPITALS
17. Inside Other Places: America's Health Care System
18. Duke University Hospital Cultural Services: A Hospital Art Community
19. Hospital Audiences Incorporated: The Healing Role of the Arts
20. Art That Heals: The Jonsson Comprehensive Cancer Care Center
PART VI: YOUTH AT RISK
21. Inside Other Places: Youth in Placement
22. Laurie Meadoff: The CityKids Empire
23. Artsreach Ensemble: Inside Out at the California Youth Authority
24. Young Saints: "Didn't It Rain"
PART VII: COMMUNITY
25. Inside Other Places: In Search of Community
26. Judy Baca: SPARC -- The Social and Public Arts Resource Center
27. Brandywine Workshop: Printmaking and the Streets
28. TheaterWorkers Project: Steelworkers Speak
29. Rebecca Rice: Building Bridges
Directory of Programs
The Commons is our blog, calendar, and online magazine.